Friday, December 02, 2005

For the last week or two I've been getting into the habit of paying for everything I can on my credit cards to take advantage of my rewards programs. For example, I put the entire bill at a restaurant on my credit card, and have my friends reimburse me for their share in cash. I don't spend anymore than I would otherwise, but I get the ThankYou points for the whole amount. So far this billing period I think I've earned somewhere close to 1000 ThankYou Points just through Citi mtvU card. The 5 pts for every $1 spent at restaurants and movie theaters is responsible for most of these points. I now have three credit cards, which I use strategically to maximize rewards programs.

Here's my system:

  • Citi Platinum Select mtvU card for all purchases at movie theaters, restaurants, bookstores, and video rental stores. (5 pts for every dollar spent)
  • Citi Platinum Select Dividend card for all gas, groceries, and drugstore purchases (5% cashback)
  • Citi Driver's Edge card for all other purchases (1% back on non-gas/grocery/drugstore purchases)
I'll redeem my ThankYou Points for a $50 giftcard, probably to Shell, but possibly BestBuy if there's a particular gadget I want to buy when I redeem my points. My Driver's Edge points actually go to a rebate on the purchase of a car or a rebate for repairs made to my car. Currently I have about $12.00 in Driver's Edge points, which I may end up converting to ThankYou Points. I believe they're offering 100 ThankYou Points for every $1 in Driver's Edge points. By redeeming my points I could gain an additional 1200 ThankYou Points. Still have to think about that though.

That's all for now. I'll update my account holdings either this weekend or next week.

2 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Credit Center said...

Hi, Thanks for your interesting blog. Keep up the great work! I also have a site & blog about credit cards for bad credit, please feel free to visit.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous doc said...

Hey I agree 100% agree with the last few comments. This blog has great opinions and this is why I continue to visit, thanks! ##link#

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
free page hit counter