Thursday, December 15, 2005

Sold the last of my books back to the bookstore today. I paid about $430 total for my books, (most of them purchased new thanks to course requirements for updated editions,) and received a whopping $109. Figured I'd post that in case anyone is curious about how much of a ripoff the textbook resale industry is for most students.

Fortunately for me, my employer reimburses me for my textbook expenses. So basically, that was $109 of pure profit this week. I actually make money by buying (and reselling) my text books. If only my mtvU card gave me 5 pts/dollar spent at my campus bookstore... :)

I've also paid off 2 of my credit cards for the month. The statement for the third card will post tomorrow, and it's only $21.27, so I'm almost liability-free for a month or so.

I scheduled an extra $50 to be sent to ING tomorrow, in addition to the $50 that is automatically transferred every Thursday. Because of HSBC's relatively strict (but secure) account opening procedures, I may not have access to my online account for a couple of weeks while I wait for my information to arrive in the mail. In the mean time, I'll continue to throw money into the ING account. This puts me at about $1750 in ING, and $100 in HSBC. Hopefully I'll make some money over Christmas break and receive some nice cash gifts and get my savings above the coveted $2000 mark.

Sadly, $2000 is a big deal to me. We all have to start somewhere I suppose.

5 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, Blogger Empty Spaces Inc. said...

$2k is a lot of money when you're 20 yrs old. you should be proud of yourself.

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger X said...

Thanks for the kind words. Very motivating. :)

 
At 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are very smart to save now. Once you get out of school, living expenses just skyrocket (in my case at least). Your blog is an inspiration to me, especially as a semi-recent graduate.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I remember swimming along the $0.00 net worth zone when I was 20 years old. It's great that you're all set up so early. Keep us posted.

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Jane Dough said...

I will join in the congratulations on your savings achievement. I am also very impressed by your text book resale - having the books paid for by your employer and still being able to sell them for a profit is great - now just make sure to bank that found money :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
free page hit counter