Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Recently, I began exploring investment opportunities through the US Treasury at www.treasurydirect.gov. This week, I:
  • Set up an account at TreasuryDirect
  • Scheduled an ACH debit to occur on the May 2 auction
  • Ordered a $1000 28-day T-bill
For whatever reason, TreasuryDirect has asked me to go to a bank and have them verify my identity. In the mean time, I can purchase T-bills, but I can't redeem them, so instead of rolling my first purchase over into another T-bill, it will just go back into my HSBC account.

I chose the 28-day term and $1000 amount mainly because I am doing this to "test the waters" and get the hang of how it all works before I commit (if I commit) to a longer term bill. So far, the process has been really smooth.

2 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Blogger OC_FlipTrack said...

Get your bill?

I just did the exact same thing about twenty minutes ago. I, too, have the special form to take to the bank. My savings acct is only paying 4.50% without any tax exemption. If it works out well, I'll ladder my entire savings into rolling t-bills.

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger X said...

Yep, I got my T-bill. I have now set it to reinvest into another 28 day T-bill.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
free page hit counter